No I don’t really mean to presume to answer that old chestnut!
What I mean here really is what does art mean to me – I think that is a fair enough question. The reason for thinking this through is not because I have the answer but so I can think about what I need to learn and how to go about it. You may agree with some of this or completely disagree – it would be great to hear your thoughts either way. I am going to keep updating and iterating this page so please do comment.
What is art?
How to plan a new piece. Think about…
- Concept and style
- What is the purpose/message/concept/idea/story
- Mood and emotion: What emotion are you trying to evoke to deliver the concept
- Abstract or figurative
- Combination: what ideas are being combined for a novel result?
- Conceptual composition: how do the ideas fit together
- Object composition, format, landscape, portrait, perspective, fore, middle back ground
- Value composition, abstract shapes, zone
- Colour theory composition
- flow into, out of and around the picture
- Light direction, quality, hue, dawn, dusk etc
- Techniques and media
- Support: paper, board, found media
- Technique: what medium, marks, line or the, tools, and techniques will you use to evoke the emotion to deliver the concept
- Stealing with pride. Who are the influences – who to copy – who to mimic?
- Balance: will it all hang together, big picture, small detail
- What can I remove?
Use Socratic method to challenge your thinking: why, why, why…
- Is it balanced?
- Is it technically proficient?
- Does it evoke the emotion?
- Does it convey the concept?
- Will others like it?